Health Certificates and Coggins Testing


Health certificates, sometimes known as certificates of veterinary inspection, are appropriate for horses that are traveling for any reason.  Coggins testing is required by the USDA for traveling across state lines and is frequently required when attending equine events.  Coggins testing, which checks a horse for the presence of Equine Infectious Anemia, can also be appropriate for horses that do not leave the farm as the disease can be transmitted by horse and deer flies.  Although the disease is not very common in the USA, it does still happen.  Digital formats for health certificates and Coggins reports are available.


For additional information about EIA, please visit the USDA hosted links below:


EIA info from USDA:


Map of EIA Distribution in USA: